Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's been nice knowing you Boys...

Humble Eskimo lolly gives tourist a bad taste


A packet of Eskimo lollies, which a Canadian tourist says are offensive to Inuit people.






It's as much a staple of New Zealand sweet confectionary as pineapple lumps and spearmint leaves, but the marshmallow Eskimo has been deemed offensive to native Canadians and may require a makeover.

Canadian tourist Seeka Lee Veevee Parsons, 21, an Inuit of the Nunavut Territory in Canada, was shocked when she found the lollies for sale last week, saying they are an insult to her people.

The word Eskimo was unacceptable in her country and carried with it negative racial connotations, she told the Taranaki Daily News.

The correct term was Inuit, Ms Parsons said.

"I was taken aback. When I was a little girl white kids in the community used to tease me about it in a bad way. It's just not the correct term."

She intends sending packets of the iconic confectionary to the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and her grandfather, a Inuit tribal elder in the Nunavut Territory.

Not only has the name of the lolly aroused painful memories, she believes the shape is an unfair stereotype of her people.


Source: NZ Herald Apr 22nd 2009


On this occasion I must stand by my country. I was eating these before the complainant was born, these lollies basically keep me alive at primary (grade) school, and without them I wouldn't be the athlete I am today.

I respect the Inuit people, however I respect my right to eat 'eskimos' in the form of confectionary even more so. I hope Mr. Harper appreciates the taste too.

KBD

1 comment:

Will Pratt said...

I am with you KBD....How come she wasn't complaining about Eskimo Pies??? The ice cream bars made by Nestle and available in the US. Maybe she was just bitter she couldn't find a date down there....with that whole man-drought going on.